3. This is where we are now. I continued to paint layers of color and detail into her face and hair. I fixed a couple of things with the bandanna that were bothering me, and I distressed the rose tattoo to make it look a bit more faded and more like it was on her skin as opposed to just sitting on top over her. Originally I wanted to banner to read “Doll Face” but now I’m not so sure.
So far I really like the direction the painting is going; the colors, the level of detail, the style… her slightly skeptical expression. I have to do something about that tendril of hair by her ear, though. The more I look at it, the more it bothers me. And maybe I’ll add some polka-dots to the bandanna.
What I really like most about this is the process. I don’t just wake up and know what to paint, or how to paint it.
I stumble a lot through paintings, trying to make them look like something. Also, I don’t, won’t, and can’t know how to paint every detail exactly all the time, mostly I just paint and repaint and paint again until I get it to look somewhere near what I wanted. I don’t know how many other people are like that, but for me a lot of painting is about problem solving. I jump into painting all the time, with no idea how to paint… say.. a bumble bee tattoo. I finally decided I didn’t want an incredibly realistic bee there, so I painted two cute little ones. Or, I’m not really sure how far to push something.. like her eyes. I wanted them to be realistic… but not too realistic.. which is basically how vague the idea was in my head. I started with a very flat, cartoonish eye and started adding details to it as if I were painting a real eye… at one point it was very creepy-alien, so I had to pull back a bit and paint out some of the more hyper-realistic eye details.