I’m cleaning up my blog archives and I found paintings and posts that have never been seen, like these two paintings from 2008:
Face Study with Peonies
Acrylic beeswax mica on canvas
I’ve been working on a painting for quite some time now, I dutifully scan every bit of the progress of it. This painting has lived with me for at least a year now without ever being finished. I constantly paint and paint on it, constantly changing my mind, constantly changing styles. This painting has seen the worst of it. I had completed most of the details after doing this Face Study, and decided that I had a direction and a final vision for the piece. (yay!) While varnishing the finished canvas, something happened with the napthol crimson in the underpainting, it bled through all the layers of paint; every little struggle, every little change, every mark I made and every decision with a brush stroke is now ruined. I almost had a giant hissy fit. With a heavy sigh, I put the painting away, maybe for another year, maybe forever.
Then I picked up a brush and added random swirls to this Face Study I had on my table, soon they were roses, and then I added more peachypinkyred and highlighted with white, and then just a bit of yellow… pretty soon they were impressionistic peonies. In the process of painting I just got over the loss I felt with the ruined painting. Sometimes they aren’t meant to go on a wall, sometimes I am just meant to learn with the process of painting.
Sometimes I have to let go of my art.
But I will be more careful with that napthol crimson.
Acrylics and beeswax on illustration board
This was originally a painting of a mermaid. I default to mermaids when I paint if I’m blocked because even if you can’t think of something to draw or paint it is always good to just start with something. Anyhow, the waves and water I was painting turned into hair, and there is no tail in sight. I think it just sort of morphed into Lady Godiva. Can I even begin to say how happy I am with her face? The scanner didn’t pick up the colors (common complaint, I know) but I’m still okay with the way it looks. Her face! The subtle painterly shading and form, the almost-realistic quality… I’m pretty sure this is my favorite painting so far. All these face studies and paintings I’ve been doing have been successful, even if it was a bit difficult for me to get through it all, I think I’ve decided on this style for the future of my girls.
A little personal landmark in the painting process right here. It is difficult to see the end when I am in the thick of it, when there are ten or so unfinished girls scattered about and paint on the carpet (oops) and no cohesive look to any of the ten, but I think I’m starting to ‘get’ it. (Beware, patting yourself on the back too much. Next post will be whining about how you are specifically Not Getting It.)